Berowra vs North Sydney

Great football on Berowra Oval

Berowra played North Sydney United on Monday 8th June as a catch-up game from all of the bad weather earlier in the season. Today the weather was perfect for football, cool and sunny.

Berowra Premier League football teamNorth Sydney kicked-off and worked the ball down pitch quickly but it was stolen by Berowra for a shot on goal within 3 mins. However, the Berowra striker didn’t get his weight over ball and it skidded wide.

After 10 mins North Sydney had a great shot on goal which rattled the upright, flew back to a second player who struck the ball cleanly and hard. It was saved by the instinctive reactions of the Berowra defender who cleared it high and wide.

This set the tempo for the match, with lots of good passages of possession and excellent ball control from both sides. Rarely did I see a kick and a promise which seems to be a feature of so many other matches this season. Both teams had good control of the ball, both goalies working hard and having to stop some great shots.

Half time 0:0 but the scores belie the quality of the game. This was an exciting, interesting match.

The second half began with North Sydney putting Berowra under pressure, peppering the goal, but each time Berowra defenders fell back and thwarted any opportunities.

North Sydney UnitedNorth Sydney were feeding the ball out wide and then crossing it in to 18 yard box where their big striker was looking to finish things off. But Berowra were quick, defending with nine men; tough and willing to put their bodies on the line time after time.

Against the run of play, Berowra were creating good opportunities but couldn’t get their shots on target.

An example of the quality of the day came from a North Sydney corner; fired in to the box it was shot at the goal by an overhead bicycle kick only to be cleared on the line by a Berowra head.

The whole afternoon was played at breakneck pace with accuracy and skill, but then Berowra made a mistake with a vigorous tackle inside the penalty area. The referee saw the offence and awarded a penalty.

North Sydney’s McGregor sent the goalie right as he slotted the ball left.

And that’s the way the match ended. 1:0 to North Sydney after a really good game of football.

About Mike 314 Articles
As publisher of The Kuringai Examiner, I have an interest in all things on the North Shore, particularly news, sport and food. I'm always on the outlook for something unique and original to bring to my readers.