Football: Lindfield vs North Sydney

Premier League football under lights

Tonight promised to be a good game of football under lights between two quality Premier League sides and both sides delivered.

Coming in to the match this evening, Lindfield had won four of their last five matches, including a win against North Sydney United last week in the rescheduled catch-up match from round 3. They were playing at home and under lights, so the scales were definitely tipped in their favour.

North Sydney United had started the season well, winning or drawing eight out of their first nine matches, but their recent performance had seen them draw against Willoughby Dalleys and go down 1:0 to Lindfield last week.

However, North Sydney reserves had won the prior match 4:2 with three of their goals coming from shots outside the 18 yard box. So the first grade team were fired-up and ready to win.

North SydneyRight from the start, North Sydney took control of the match, commanding play and setting up opportunities.

However, it took only 3 minutes for Lindfield to score, sweeping the ball down the right wing it was crossed beautifully to the feet of their striker who hit the ball to the left of the goal keeper, stunning North Sydney.

After 34 minutes Lindfield demonstrated that their first goal was not a fluke, scoring from a corner, they headed the ball in for their second goal.

North Sydney kept on pressing and eventually broke through the defence only to gain a free kick on the edge of the 18 yard box to cries of “Dive” from the Lindfield bench. However, Lindfield produced a magnificent save keeping their 2:0 lead.

Lindfield were tackling very hard and the referee was getting frustrated with their tactics.

Two minutes later North Sydney scored a great goal. Working the ball down the pitch they crossed from midfield to the left of the box where the ball was shot to the right of the goalie and in to the back of the net.

Another free kick to North Sydney was floated over the wall and shot home as the referee blew his whistle for off side, to the shouts of dismay from the North Sydney bench. This was a nail-biter of a match which could still go either way.

It was 2:1 to Lindfield at half time.

Lindfield Immediately after the restart Lindfield’s centre forward went in for another heavy tackle which earned him an immediate red card, throwing Lindfield’s plans in to disarray. There were frantic discussions from the field with the bench as Lindfield bunkered down to preserve their lead.

North Sydney played the second half at a frantic pace, working their plans well and playing great set-piece football, but they could not score. North Sydney had a couple of great chances but the Lindfield goalie made some magnificent saves.

A great game of football on a very cold evening.

Final score 2:1 to Lindfield which means they have taken six points from their two encounters with North Sydney moving them up in to third spot on the ladder.

About Mike 314 Articles
As publisher of The Kuringai Examiner, I have an interest in all things on the North Shore, particularly news, sport and food. I'm always on the outlook for something unique and original to bring to my readers.