Lindfield humbled at home

Berowra beat Lindfield 4:0 at Charles Bean Oval

Lindfield took on Berowra in the Premier League at Charles Bean Oval this evening. If past performance was anything to go by, this should be an easy match for Lindfield as Berowra were second from the bottom of the division and were only ahead of Knox United in the wooden spoon position on goal difference. Lindfield had lost last week against North Sydney United but had won the two matches prior to that and they had the home ground advantage.

A good crowd had turned up for the match under lights, a great way to spend an evening and it doesn’t cost the spectator a cent to turn up and watch clashes like this.

DSC_1058Right from the start, Lindfield had good control of the ball, moving it around well and putting the Berowra defence under pressure. Lindfield were playing their usual frenetic game in the Berowra half. But against the run of play, Berowra made a break away and scored after only four minutes. Lindfield appeared shocked.

Regrouping, Linfield fought back and had the Berowra defence under pressure forcing the goalie to make a fantastic two handed punch of the ball off his line to save a certain equaliser. This was repeated again ten minutes later, with a blistering shot from Lindfield which the Berowra goalie managed to get a hand against deflecting up on to the crossbar and away.

This became the theme for the evening, with Lindfield commanding play, moving the ball around and keeping possession for long periods, but shots on goal, possession and confidence don’t count for anything when your opposition score and that’s what they did again after thirty two minutes and again just before the half time whistle.

Three-nil to Berowra and that’s the way the scores remained at half time.

Berowra weren’t making many attacks on the Lindfield goal, but when they did move the ball up in to the Lindfield danger zone, they appeared to take on the air of a killer and finished brilliantly. This ability they quickly turned in to goal four early in the second half with a superb shot struck from the edge of the penalty area at full pace, slamming in to the back of net, lighting-up the Berowra fans.

DSC_1041Berowra’s run-away scoring this evening was also backed-up with some spectacular saves by the Berowra goalie; Lindfield were reeling.

One of the things I like to see is how a team works under pressure; will it fall to pieces? Not Lindfield, they regrouped again, kept up the frenetic pace, maintained the possession for long periods and peppered the Berowra goal with shots, but nothing was going to get through.

The pace of attack led to some frustration on the part of the Berowra team and one of the players earned a second yellow card and got his marching orders. Surely this must be the crack that Lindfield required? But, even eleven men on ten were not going to break through the impenetrable wall that was Berowra this evening.

At full time the score was four-nil to Berowra and a shocked Lindfield had been soundly beaten at home.

Full time score: 4:0 to Berowra.

(As the game was at night under lights, there is no gallery of images).

About Mike 314 Articles
As publisher of The Kuringai Examiner, I have an interest in all things on the North Shore, particularly news, sport and food. I'm always on the outlook for something unique and original to bring to my readers.